katoliko at Yahoo! Groups

twitter pic

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Today’s Saint/s: Holy Martyr Polycarp,St. Polycarp was a disciple of the holy Apostle John, and the Bishop of Smyrna

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

St. Basil Church, Los Gatos, CA

 

Today's Saint/s: Holy Martyr Polycarp,

St. Polycarp was a disciple of the holy Apostle John, and the Bishop of Smyrna

When ordered to renounce Christ or suffer death by fire, the holy elder St. Polycarp replied: "Eighty and six years have I served Him, and He never once wronged me;

how then shall I blaspheme my King, Who hath saved me?"

 

Today's Readings:

 

l Holy Scriptures:

 

6th Hour:     Beginning of the reading of the Prophecy of Isaiah

                                      Isaiah 5:7-16        Prophecy of Isaiah

          Vespers:      Beginning of the Reading of the Book of Genesis

Genesis 4:8-15     Book of Genesis

                             Beginning of the Reading of the Proverbs of Solomon

                                      Proverbs 5:1-15    Book of Proverbs

 

l "Ascending the Heights":   Step 7         Pages 39 - 43

 

 

Tomorrow, Wed. Feb. 24:   Liturgy of the Pre-Sanctified, 12noon

 

PRAYER:

From the LENTEN TRIODION

(From Office of Matins)

 

Open to me the doors of repentance, O Giver of Life. * As we worship in Your temple this morning, * teach us how to purify the temples of our bodies, * and in Your compassion, purify me by the goodness of Your mercies.

 

Lead me to the paths of salvation, O Mother of God, * for I have condemned myself with shameful sins * and have wasted all my life in slothfulness. * By your intercession purify me from all sinfulness.

 

Have mercy on me, O God, in Your kindness. In Your compassion, blot out my offense.

When I think upon the multitude of my evil deeds, * I tremble for the terrible Day of Judgment. * But trusting in the compassion of Your mercy, O Lord, * I cry to You like David: * Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your great mercy!

No comments: